Monday, April 8, 2013

STARUCCA VIADUCT


I had spent my first summer, fall and winter in Scranton. My pocket was full of money.

Someone told me about one of the wonders of the world; The Starucca Viaduct.

I just had to see it.

I bummed a ride in the caboose of a train heading for the Susquehanna, Pennsylvania railroad yard. They did a lot of railroad engine and car repair work there.

It was also the home of Joseph Smith and the Mormon religion - - - but I will save that for another time.

When I reached Susquehanna I still could not see the Starucca Viaduct. I was told that I had a two mile hike to Lanesboro if I wanted to see the viaduct. So I hiked.

I took the normal route - - - up and over the hill. The people were very friendly when I asked for directions.

The viaduct was, well, what can I say? It was one of the worlds wonders. The people in Lanesboro told me that the railroad owners did not want to pay the builder for his work. They were afraid the viaduct would not handle the load. So he threatened to sue. The owners decided, as a test, to send an empty train over the viaduct at slow speed. So the engineer started the engine, put it in low gear and hopped off - - - sending the driverless train over the viaduct.

It made the trip safely. Another engineer hopped aboard the engine on the other side.

The viaduct has been in use ever since. Now I can't say this is a true story because I did not see it with my own eyes; but I believe it.




©W. Tomosky

No comments:

Post a Comment