Thursday, July 11, 2013

CONVERSATION

An acquaintance said something to me today that is still rattles around in my head. He was quoting someone or other - - - I wish I could remember who.

This is what he said.

“Not just any talk is conversation; not any talk raises consciousness. Good conversation has an edge: it opens your eyes to something, quickens your ears. And good conversation reverberates: it keeps on talking in your mind later in the day; the next day, you find yourself still conversing with what was said. That reverberation afterward is the very raising of consciousness; your mind’s been moved. You are at another level with your reflections.”

That is what I like about Bogdan. His statements keep talking to me for days on end. He builds pictures in my mind; pictures of Russia, The Straights of Darien, Tzars and other such things.

Jim McFee is no slouch either when it comes to conversation and such.  He introduced me to Barclay and his family in Henryville, Pennsylvania not to mention the Hanging Rock in Danville.

Gunther takes another tack. He talks about BOOKS and then we have to look at them and then the next thing you know we are reading them. Gunther is subtle.

Me? Not quite so much a conversationalist as a traveler. I just like to travel and see things such as Browns Landing and the Starucca Viaduct.

At other times I enjoy tweeking the nose of politicians; which someday is sure to get me in trouble.

So today I will simply hope that someone engages you in great conversation; or, better yet, that you engage someone in great conversation. Tell them something of interest.

Attempt to avoid the small talk; unless you are a salesman.




©W. Tomosky♠

1 comment:

  1. love this post man. so true. conversation is a lost art. no one converses anymore nor wants to. that is why i love blogs. the internet is preserving the idea of... the idea ... like like like

    ReplyDelete